Revealing Applique: Lollipop Flower
Reverse, Needle-turn Applique by hand
Teacher: Margaret Brewster Willingham, Eye of the Beholder Quilt Designs
August 2, 2018, 600 - 9:00 pm
Edmond Quilt Guild
De- mystify with knowledge and skill. And find the FUN of reverse-needle turn applique done the Eye of the Beholder way. Learn all the steps in the process of trace, baste, snip and stitch, and see the beauty of the 7.5” Lollipop Flower revealed as you sew. Come be empowered! You can finish your block as a pot holder, or sew it into a quilt…or make a whole quilt of these adorable flowers.
Come learn with others and experience the fun and beauty of reverse applique by hand.
Though the focus of this workshop will be sewing by hand, the machine process will also be presented.
Required: Lollipop Flower pattern– pattern cost $5.00*
BRING to CLASS: (Supply List)
- 9” square of light/ contrast batik, background fabric
- 9” square of dark/ contrast batik, top fabric
- No. 7 Sharps needle for basting (Instructor has needles for purchase, if needed.)
- No. 11 Milliners needle for appliqué (Instructor has needles for purchase, if needed.)
- 1 spool of Button or quilting thread for basting (CONTRASTING COLOR to top fabric)
- 1 Spool of thread for stitching (SAME COLOR as top fabric)
- 1 pair small, sharp scissors (Instructor has scissors for purchase, if needed.)
- safety pins for pin basting, or straight pins
- Mechanical pencil or Frixion gel pen for tracing pattern onto light/ contrast batik, background fabric
Helpful items: Light box (to trace design onto background fabric); Needle threader for small-eyed needle
The quilting and finishing of your Lollipop Flower will not be part of the scope of this class. However, like any quilted piece, you will layer with your batting and backing.
To finish as pot holder: You will also need a 9” square of batik for backing, 9” square of batting and 2.5” x 36” strip for binding.
Then have fun attending the Festival of Quilts 2018 at the Gaylord University Center, 2501 N. Memorial Road, Edmond, OK 73013.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more information.