Amidala’s Flower mini-quilt X (28” x 28”)
From Beginning to End workshop
Reverse Applique with added Applique by Hand or Machine
Teacher: Margaret Brewster Willingham, Eye of the Beholder Quilt Design, and Dana Stencel, Sew Downtown
When: Saturday’s, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. 3/24, 4/28, 5/26, 7/28, 8/25, 9/15, 10/27, 11/24
Where: Sew Downtown, 824 9th St., Greeley, CO
Cost: $80.00 for 8 classes for 8 months of fun! (cost is $15.00 per class if paid at each class)
Join the fun!
Be empowered, learn and explore creative possibilities as you make the fantasy mini-quilt, Amidala’s Flower mini-quilt X (28” x 28”).
8 fun-filled Saturdays from March – November of 2018.
You choose your method. Make it by hand or machine using Eye of the Beholder’s easier methods of reverse applique and applique as you make the center flower block. Learn how to machine embroider as you make the 4” butterfly corner blocks. Refine your piece-work making the 16- fan blocks and constructing the borders. Learn tips for creating a quilting plan to augment all the elements of the design. Explore embellishing with Swarovski crystals.
It’s fun and easy to reverse applique and applique with Eye of the Beholder Quilt Design’s Trace, Baste, Snip & Stitch process for hand and Trace, Snip, Iron & Stitch process for machine. Our hand process gives you great control over your piece, allowing you to have sharp points, crisp corners and graceful circles. And by machine? Let us walk you through tips for getting evenly stitched circles and clean, crisp inside and outside points. Whatever process you choose, you will love the results you get. No special machines needed.
Then learn and play with Sew Downtown’s embroidery machines as you create the 4” butterfly corner blocks. You can make your own or Sew Downtown will make them for you to stitch into your quilt. Again, no special machines needed.
Step by step, Month by month and start to finish, you will see Amidala’s Flower mini-quilt X come to life!
- Amidala’s Flower mini-quilt X pattern - $22.00
- 5/8 yard – turquoise (top fabric)
- 5/8 yard – spring green (background fabric
- ½ yard – hot pink (blossoms, inner border, fan blocks, butterfly corner blocks)
- ½ yard – lt. orange (blossoms, fan blocks)
- ½ yard – Orange w/ turquoise swirls (fan blocks)
- 5/8 yard – Medium purple (blossoms, fan blocks)
- Fat quarter – dark orange (outer border)
- Backing: 1 yard
For Hand Creation:
- No. 7 Sharps needle for basting
- No. 11 Milliners needle for appliqué
- Hand cotton quilting thread for basting (CONTRASTING COLOR to top fabrics)
- thread for stitching (SAME COLOR as top fabrics)
- 1 pair small, sharp scissors
- safety pins for pin basting, or straight pins, about 18
- Mechanical pencil or Frixion gel pen for tracing pattern onto background batik
- Helpful items: Light box to trace design onto background fabric; scotch tape; Needle threader for small-eyed needle
For Machine Creation:
- paper-backed iron-on fusible: 1 – 18” x 18” square; 1 – 12” x 12” square for applique
- threads for stitching (SAME COLOR as top fabric and applique. Floriani embroidery thread)
- safety or straight pins, about 10
- 1 pair small, sharp scissors
- Mechanical pencil for tracing pattern onto paper side of iron-on fusible
- Terial Magic spray-on stabilizer or other stabilizer
- FOR STITCHING PRACTICE: a 12” x 12” square of stabilized fabric
- Helpful items: Light box to trace design onto paper-backed iron-on fusible; scotch tape