How to Miter corners: Fit for a Queen
The Fit for a Queen Quilt (Quilt III) starts with the elegant Scroll & Fan Medallion III pattern. Using the Fit for a Queen Quilt Expansion Pattern, we grow it into a queen-size quilt. After completing the 40.5” medallion, sashing is added, meeting in corners with a 45 degree mitered corner.
Sashing the Center Medallion
How to Miter Your Corners
1. On one end of your 2” x 44.5” sashing strips, mark a dot 1.75” from end and ¼” in from raw edge along ¼” seam allowance. Measure 39.5” along edge and mark another dot ¼” in from raw edge along ¼” seam allowance.
2. On the center medallion, mark a dot in the center of each corner ¼” from the raw edge. To find measure ¼” in from each side. Where they intersect is the center of your corner.
Repeat for all four 2” x 44.5” sashing strips.
3. With right sides together, pin a sashing strip to center medallion edge matching dots on sashing with dots on center medallion.
4. Using ¼” seam allowance, sew from dot to dot. Iron flat towards sashing.
Pin second strip on adjacent side, matching dots. Pin so the first sashing strip is out of the way. You don’t want to catch it as you sew.
5. Using ¼” seam allowance, sew from dot to dot, being careful not to catch the previously sewed on sashing strip.
6. At the corner, fold the medallion diagonally in half, with right sides together, aligning sashing strips on top of each other, matching corners and edges.
6. Pin sashing pieces to each other so they can’t shift.
7. On both sides, pull the seam allowances back towards the Center medallion to get them out of the way.
8. Use a ruler to draw a line diagonally from sewn dot to outside corner of sashing end.
9. Sew diagonally on drawn line from dot through the corner.
10. Trim ¼” from stitching line, cutting away the triangular sashing “tails”.
11. Iron flat.
You have successfully mitered one corner.
Repeat these steps until all four mitered corners have been completed.
You have sashed your center medallion and grown it to 42.5". Congratulations!
Next, Setting Triangles with Sashing: Make 4 on page 9 of your pattern. For extra help Setting Triangles: Sashing and Attaching on tutorial.